Windows DirectInput / Joy.cpl freezing with SimHub-enabled DACs (for Bass Shakers)
- With SimHub open I'm getting extreme lag on my Game Controllers (Joy.cpl) panel in Windows.
- The Game Controllers panel takes several seconds to open, and is laggy when in use (difficult to open individual controller properties).
- ACC shows a very similar loading lag (several seconds) both in its initial load and when opening the in-game controller settings.
- If I check the ACC logs, they get stuck at the DirectInput initialization phase when this happens.
- SimHub 7.4.23
- Windows 11
- fTPM disabled
- Ryzen 5800X
- ASUS Strix B550 on latest BIOS
- Dayton Audio DAC01 USB DACs driving bass shakers
Changes that work around the problem:
- If I close SimHub the problem goes away completely.
- If I disconnect all USB audio DACs (and run SimHub) the problem goes away completely.
- If I leave USB audio DACs enabled, run SimHub, but disable all Bass Shaker outputs, the problem goes away completely.
Failed attempts to fix the problem:
- Moving to different USB ports (I've tried 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, and even a hub and dedicated 3.0 USB hosting card) does not change anything.
- Disabling all unused plugins in SimHub didn't help.
- Disabling Administrator Access in SimHub didn't help.
- This has been going on for a while. It's only recently that I've had the time to be able to narrow it down to SimHub.
- The USB DACs themselves don't appear to be an issue, as I can play audio directly to them from Windows (with SimHub closed) and everything works fine (as long as SimHub isn't running, or at least nothing is enabled in the Sound Output).
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
EDIT: my SimHub.log: https://pastebin.com/CYwfY0zX
I figured it out... or at least have some more interesting info. My DACs were each initializing a HID. I force disabled them and the problem went away. The DACs still output audio, but it would be good to understand what role SimHub is playing with this issue (and it would be nice if I didn't have to disable these sub-devices).